2019 was definitely a turning point for Zwellyn Pottery. With my book being published in October and the purchase of a brand new kiln in March, I was extra motivated to grow my art based business. This was a bit tricky since I already have a full time job and 3 kids, but somehow I did manage!
My goal for 2019 was to gross $12,000. I was about $2000 shy of that , however, I made most of that money between September – December so with a little more effort early this year, I’m confident I can make more in 2020.
Based on my numbers in 2019, here’s what I want to accomplish in 2020:
- Gross $15,000 in pottery sales
- Post at least 3 times a week to social media and grow my following by 50%
These are ambitious goals, and here’s how I plan to accomplishing them:
- Produce more pottery early in the year, making sure to stock up on product lines I know will sell well
- Create new products at a higher price point that will excite my current customers: oil & vinegar pourers, lamps, soap dispensers, large mugs, beer steins, highly decorated travel mugs and trays
- Post regularly to Pinterest & try getting some traction on Twitter
- Join some Facebook groups that promote artisans
- Do more craft fairs & makers markets in my local area during slower sale times (Winter & Summer).
- Make my Maine Craft Weekend event bigger this year and do more advertising
- Try to maintain at least 50 items in my online stores at all times
I’m already off to a decent start! I currently have 60 items for sale online, I signed up for a local makers market and I’ve even started throwing pots a little, which I don’t normally do this time of year.
One thing I always like to stress is having realistic goals. You certainly want to stretch your limits but if you stretch too far you just end up getting stressed and frustrated. Remember that you only have so much time so make sure you have a solid plan for accomplishing goals that doesn’t involve working more than is actually possible. Also, no worries if you fall short of everything you want to accomplish. As long as you are making progress and learning, you are doing great!
Thanks for reading! Hope your 2020 is off to a great start!